Cross-posted from my MediaFuturist blog
I am currently in Kristiansand Norway, taking part in a think-tank event organized by Peter Jenner (of the IMMF) on the subject of the Digital Flat Rate (Digital Music News covered it here… kind of ;). Here is my PDF (8 MB) with my presentation on Copyright 2.0. Copyright_2.0 Gerd Leonhard Kristiansand Norway June 2008.pdf.
Some key points from this presentation:
- An actual distinction between ‘Copy’ vs ‘Performance’ of music no longer exists
- Even if that difference could be maintained: the ‘Selling of Copies’ of music (CDs or downloads) is no longer a growing business, or a sustainable model
- The exclusive right to ‘make copies’ is becoming impossible to enforce
- Criminalization of Sharing and Policing of Web-Access is not the kind of ‘Justice’ our society can afford (see my response to Paul Mc Guinness’ speech at Midem 2008 here)
- New Permissions & ‘Usage-Rights’ for Digital Music can and will solve this problem
- Do we want the Fair Remuneration of the Creators or do we prefer – at all costs – to maintain the Industry’s Control over the Users fka Consumers?
This post has been read 226 times!